Thursday, November 17, 2011

Granddaddy and the CCC Part 3



Granddaddy (Lester Howard) was discharged from the Civilian Conservation Corps in June 1937.  I love how the Certificate of Discharge gives a description of his.  Brown Hair. Brown eyes.  Ruddy Complexion.  (Just what is a ruddy complexion?!) Five feet, 6 1/2 inches.  


The service record for my grandfather tells me much I already knew  from just having known him.  He was a good worker and  a great cook!   Granddaddy returned to his family in Sanford, NC.  Two years later he married Cecile White of Surry County, NC.

3 comments:

  1. Those are some nice records. I only have really bad copies from microfilm which are very hard to read. These records really are great resources and say so much about our ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother used the term "ruddy complexion" for people who had a reddish tone to their skin. Usually these people had reddish hair, also. Not sure if this would mean the same thing here, since the person had brown hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie, I am fortunate to have my grandfather's original records. The CCC meant a great deal to him and he kept his records safely tucked away.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...