This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: Granddaddy and the CCC Part 3

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Granddaddy and the CCC Part 3



Granddaddy (Lester Howard) was discharged from the Civilian Conservation Corps in June 1937.  I love how the Certificate of Discharge gives a description of his.  Brown Hair. Brown eyes.  Ruddy Complexion.  (Just what is a ruddy complexion?!) Five feet, 6 1/2 inches.  


The service record for my grandfather tells me much I already knew  from just having known him.  He was a good worker and  a great cook!   Granddaddy returned to his family in Sanford, NC.  Two years later he married Cecile White of Surry County, NC.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Valerie Craft said...

Those are some nice records. I only have really bad copies from microfilm which are very hard to read. These records really are great resources and say so much about our ancestors.

November 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger Debbie Blanton McCoy said...

My grandmother used the term "ruddy complexion" for people who had a reddish tone to their skin. Usually these people had reddish hair, also. Not sure if this would mean the same thing here, since the person had brown hair.

November 17, 2011 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Valerie, I am fortunate to have my grandfather's original records. The CCC meant a great deal to him and he kept his records safely tucked away.

November 17, 2011 at 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home