This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: A Favorite Resource

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Monday, November 7, 2011

A Favorite Resource


For those of you who research in North Carolina, I wanted to share with you a resource I use regularly.  It is the 2009 edition of Guide to County Records in the North Carolina State Archives published by the North Carolina  Office of Archives and History.    This is a wonderful resource that lists the original and microfilmed records of each NC county that are housed at the NC Archives.  As I develop my research plans, I consult my copy to determine which records the archives have.  That way, I can be more efficient with my actual time in the archives.

For example, when I was researching the Howard/Harward family living in Moore County, NC in the mid-late 1800's, I consulted my guide.  I quickly learned that Moore County is a "burned" county. Land records and many court records prior to the courthouse fire in 1889 were mostly lost, so I knew not to spend time looking for these.  I did discover that one tax book from 1852-1860 survived the fire.  This surviving record was one of a few to survive the fire and fortunately I was able to place my ancestors in a specific location in the county for that time period.  I was able to complete this part of my research fairly quickly since I knew what to look for ahead of time.

Do any other NC researchers use this regularly?

(I ordered my copy from here.)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Yvette Porter Moore said...

Thank you so much for this information. I do research in NC also...and thank you for the link to order a copy of the guide. I was just about to google.

November 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I use my copy regularly!

November 7, 2011 at 8:20 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hi Lisa, thanks for the comment on my blog! I love North Carolina. I have a family line (Hodges) from Wautaga County. I haven't gotten around to researching them much so your NC research tips will come in handy!

November 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home