Friday, August 26, 2011

A Sneak Preview


With the Postcard Bonanza next week, I thought I would give a sneak peek at one of my postcards I discovered recently.  This is one of my favorite type of postcards.  I like the postcards depicting locations and landmarks.  I'm not really sure why.  Perhaps because they show where my ancestors went on their travels. 

This is a postcard of the Beaufort/Morehead City, NC bridge.  The view is east across the sound. Morehead City and Beaufort are historical coastal towns and a popular vacation spots for tourists on the NC coast. 

This particular card was sent to my grandmother Cecile White of Dobson, NC in 1935.  It is signed "Aunt Blanche".  Blanche is Blanche Holyfield , the sister of Cecile's mother Stella Holyfield White.

It is ironic that I found this card tucked in my grandmother's scrapbook this week.  Along with much of the NC coast, Morehead City is currently evacuating in advance of Hurricane Irene.  It is certainly my hope that everyone gets out safely and damage is kept to a minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...