Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Postcard Bonanza Today!


Welcome to the Postcard Bonanza! I'm so glad you could stop by. Grab a cup of coffee and a danish (Sorry, you have to provide your own.  This is a virtual party after all!) and let's get started. 


I'm sharing a postcard my great grandmother Mattie Maddox Howard sent to her mother Martha Jane (Lett) Maddox.  It is all the more special because this is the only known handwriting sample of Mattie's that our family has.





Transcription of the above postcard:

Dear Mother

Ill write you a

few lines. We are
all well hop you
are well by now
I want you to
hurry up and come
out here and
stay with us
some. I will come
to see you when I
can. much Love to
you all  From,
Mattie H

Note the postcard is a birthday card, but the postmark shows that the card was sent in October of 1923.  Martha Jane’s birthday was in January.  Also, note that no mention of birthday wishes was made in the note. During this time of letter writing, the writer often used what they had on hand.  In this case, a birthday card served the purpose for Mattie to send a note to her mother.  

If you would like to join in the fun and link your postcard post here, use the "add your link" button at the bottom of this post. I'm looking forward to reading about your postcard(s).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...