Saturday, August 27, 2011

The 1900 House

I have a confession.  Around here we like to watch those historical reality shows.  You know the ones where a family or individuals "go back in time" for three months.  The clothes they wear, the food they eat and even their leisure activities are authentic to the period in which they live.

The latest show that we've watched is The 1900 House.  Filmed back in 1999, an English family lived as a 1900 middle class London family would have lived.  This particular family moved into a Victorian home and for three months lived with gas lanterns, a fireplace and kitchen range for heat, and a "modern toilet" (for the period) located in a shed out back.  The show chronicles the family's journey to live without the technology and convenience of household appliances of today. Quite an interesting show to watch.

This would have been the time period my great great grandmothers would have been raising their families.  The majority of my ancestors at this time were still rural farmers and not living in large cities.  Life often revolved around the seasons of farming. Electricity and indoor plumbing were still a ways off.

The question begs to be asked.  Could I do it?  Could I be successful as a 1900 homemaker? I don't know, but I would not mind giving it a try. As long as it is temporary!

 Could you do it?

1 comment:

  1. I loved "The 1900 House" and all others in the PBS series. I wish they would repeat them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...