- Pack light.
- Come with a plan and objectives.
- Attend sessions about geographic areas that are new to you. I attended a session on Kentucky research. Many families from VA and NC migrated to Kentucky. I never know when I might end up tracing a line to Kentucky. (This was one of my favorite sessions.)
- Kentucky had a star on both the confederate flag and the union flag.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Talk to the people sitting next to you. I met great people and made new genealogy friends this week.
- Practice what you learn while the information is fresh on your mind.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. Genealogists are very approachable and love to share their knowledge.
Monday, May 14, 2012
NGS Wrap Up
Today I thought I would share some of the things I learned this week at the NGS conference. I confess the list is a bit random, but after four days of intensive genealogy.... I think you get the picture.