This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: NGS Wrap Up

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Monday, May 14, 2012

NGS Wrap Up

Today I thought I would share some of the things I learned this week at the NGS conference.  I confess the list is a bit random, but after four days of intensive genealogy.... I think you get the picture.
  • Pack light.
  • Come with a plan and objectives.  
  • Attend sessions about geographic areas that are new to you.  I attended a session on Kentucky research.  Many families from VA and NC migrated to Kentucky.  I never know when I might end up tracing a line to Kentucky. (This was one of my favorite sessions.)
  • Kentucky had a star on both the confederate flag and the union flag.
  • Wear comfortable shoes.
  • Talk to the people sitting next to you.  I met great people and made new genealogy friends this week.
  • Practice what you learn while the information is fresh on your mind.
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions. Genealogists are very approachable and love to share their knowledge.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home