This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: NGS - Day Three

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Saturday, May 12, 2012

NGS - Day Three

I started off my morning attending Angela McGhie's session on newspaper research.  Angela did a fantastic job  of presenting how to use newspapers in your research and how to find those newspapers.  I confess I do not use the newspapers as a resource nearly as much as I should.  I have a recent subscription to GenealogyBank.com and plan to spend some focused research time there in the near future.

Next up, I attended Barbara Vines Little's session on chancery records. As with her lecture on Tuesday, I came away with renewed confidence in being able to search out my ancestors in the chancery records of Virginia and understand what the documents are telling me. (Actually, I skipped an afternoon session in order to be able to do a little research in this area while things were still fresh on my mind.)

A session on proving/disproving family myths, lunch with a new genealogy friend and research kept me busy during the early afternoon.  Then back to the conference for another session and browsing time in the exhibit hall.  While I was there, I did some indexing of the 1940 census.  I then enjoyed catching up with my ProGen mentor Claire Bettag. At last it was back to my room for more research time.

Another great day at NGS!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home