Friday, May 11, 2012

NGS - Day Two

I started off my Thursday morning attending a excellent session on Kentucky research presented by  Don Richmyer of the Kentucky Historical Society.  I know what you are thinking.  I do not do Kentucky research.  No, I do not have have direct ancestor lines in Kentucky, but I (we) do have collateral Talbott and Owen lines who migrated there. There are also many surnames that are found in  the border counties of southwestern Kentucky and northwestern Tennesee that are in Halifax County, Virginia as well.

Oral history in the Talbott family refers to Kentucky cousins.  One tradition reports that John B Talbott (my GGG grandfather) visited family there prior to the Civil War.  Supposedly John brought back the pistol that he would later use in the Civil War.

My great grandfather Bossy Talbott has some type of connection to Kentucky.  Among his papers I have discovered correspondence with a legal firm in Kentucky.

After attending Don's session, I am interested in re-visiting the family's oral history and Bossy's connection to Kentucky.

I attended lectures in the afternoon by Tom Jones on Inferential Genealogy and Barbara Vines Little on finding the law that pertained to your ancestor in a particular time.  Both were excellent lectures that gave me a lot to think about.  I need to re-visit a couple of those brick walls in my family tree.  I might just have a couple of fresh ideas.

I went to dinner with three new genealogy friends.  (Yes, we did talk genealogy the whole time and no one's eyes glazed over!)  After that we were off to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.  The NURFC deserves a post all its own.  This is a fabulous museum and one that is a must-see if you visit the Cincinnati area.  I'd love to go back and spend more time.

That's day two in a nutshell.  I'm looking forward to what day three brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...