Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Reunion - Is It Time?

Ever since I started tracing family lines, I have dreamed of organizing a family reunion.  I confess the thought excites me, but also has me a little anxious!  (Okay, maybe a lot anxious.)  Other than hosting children's birthday parties and the occasional family Christmas, hosting large events has not been high on my priority list.

But it's time.


I thought I would start with the Howard (or Harward) family.  There are a number of cousins (on the direct and collateral lines) who still live in the area where the Howards settled in North Carolina.  Organizing a reunion in North Carolina seems a little less daunting for my first one than trying to organize one out of state.


Here's where I ask for help/suggestions from those of you who have done this! 
(Thanks to those cousins who have already given me some great ideas!)

What is the best time of year to have a reunion?  Summers are usually more flexible for families, but it sure is hot that time of year.

What are some fun ways to share the family history?


What are your tips and tricks to a successful reunion?


Haley Cousins -- Don't feel left out!  You're next on my list, so be thinking!

3 comments:

  1. This probably isn't related to one of your questions but it is something that's been done in my husband's family.

    Get a cloth tablecloth (new) and ask everyone to sign it. Then one individual (or maybe more) takes the tablecoth and embroiders all of the names. What a treasure to look at the tablecloth years later and see the signatures of those who are no longer with you.

    As far as timing, what about June? Kids would be out of school and maybe it wouldn't be too hot yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips, Debi! I love the tablecloth idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find small and intimate works best, certainly less stressful on you. People interact more easily when the size is manageable. Bring the family research that you have collected to share. You could have a light luncheon and remember to take lots of pictures. If you have a family cemetery, or ancestral home nearby, perhaps you could all go visit. Everyone leaves feeling they have made a connection.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...