This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: Genealogy and Physical Therapy

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Friday, September 23, 2011

Genealogy and Physical Therapy

As I meet genealogists through my blog or at an event, I am always fascinated by the various backgrounds we bring to genealogy research.  I've met genealogists with backgrounds in business, teaching, law and more.

By training I am a physical therapist.  Specifically, I am an acute (hospital) PT.

Genealogy and physical therapy - an odd combination, don't you think?  Well, maybe not.

As a physical therapist, I evaluate a patient's problem, develop a treatment plan, and carry out that plan. Isn't that what I do as a genealogist?

  1. First I identify the research focus. (This would be the patient's problem)
  2. I analyze what is already known about the research question. (This would be the patient's medical history.)
  3. I determine what other information is needed. (This would be hands on evaluation of a patient's problem.)
  4. I develop a research plan to address the central question. (This would be treatment plan.)
  5. I carry out the research plan. (This would be carrying out the patient's treatment plan.)
  6. I re-evaluate the research plan and adapt it based on research findings.  (I re-evaluate the patient frequently and make adjustments to their treatment as needed.)
Whether I am working as a genealogist or a physical therapist, I use both my analytic skills and my interview/people skills. "Thinking outside the box" is helpful in both as well.




Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Diane Fit to the Finish said...

My grandmother did a whole geneaology on the family - well, as much as she could. It was fascinating - especially since I was adopted and she was my birth grandmother! (Long story)

September 25, 2011 at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home