This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: Success

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Friday, September 25, 2009

Success

I am happy to report that I have had some success at the State Library of NC recently. I was researching my White family and trying to learn a little more about Surry County, NC. As I browsed the stacks where the Surry County books are kept, I came across a narrow volume with the title Records of Moody Funeral Services Mount Airy, NC 1903-1914 by Betty Camin and Ann Stewart. Not really expecting to find anything, I perused the index.

There she was--Jonah White, my great-great grandmother. (Her name was actually Joanna, but I have frequently found her listed as Jonah in records.) Her husband T. J. White was listed as next of kin. According to these funeral home records, Joanna died 6 Jun 1910 of heart failure.

You never know where you might find a piece of family history.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Amy Coffin said...

Congratulations on the find!

September 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home