Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday Oakwood Cemetery

I recently visited historic Oakwood Cemetery in Raleigh, NC.  Oakwood Cemetery was begun in 1869 and sits close to the downtown area on 102 acres of land.  Buried there are the famous and not so famous.  A confederate soldier cemetery is also there.  Since beginning genealogy, I have found myself interested in the styles and designs of gravestones.  Oakwood Cemetery has its share of interesting stones as well.  For the next few Tombstone Tuesdays, I will share the tombstones that particularly caught my attention.  (For my cousins reading this blog, these departed are not part of our ancestry.) 


Gravestone Wth Pillow and Blanket
  This was the first time I had seen a gravestone with this motif.  This is the grave of S Brown Shepherd, Jr. Unfortunately, the dates were very worn and difficult to read.


Gravestone of S Brown Shepherd, Jr


2 comments:

  1. very nice pictures Lisa. From the work done by the Cemetery Census group in their survey of Oakwood Cemetery it looks like this is the grave for Sylvester Brown Shepherd Jr. who died July 8, 1940 (http://goo.gl/wna2P).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful stone. I have never seen this motif either. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...