Thursday, June 23, 2011

Is This How Family Lore is Born?

Cable Car
I just got back from vacation in San Francisco.  Much to the delight of my family there was not an ancestor in sight.  (My direct ancestral line never made it any further west than NC!)  The weather was wonderful!  For someone living in the south, wearing a fleece pullover in June is a real treat (especially when it is 95 degrees back home).


San Francisco is famous for it's cable cars going up and down the city's steep hills.  Quite frankly, they are a lot of fun to ride.  Did I tell you about falling out the back of one of those cable cars?  Not really, but sort of..... The cable car was just beginning it's climb up a very steep hill.  Being on my first cable car ride I was not quite sure what to expect.  I was standing inside the back door of the crowded inside compartment. As the cable car started up the hill, it gave a quick jerk and I took a giant step back through the door (where the rear brakeman stands) to keep my balance. That's it. No fall. No danger.   Not nearly as exciting story, either. We had a good laugh and with each re-telling the story has grown. By the end of the trip the family maintains I  fell out the back of the cable car compartment and was hanging on by my fingertips! I wonder if in a few generations the ggg-grandchildren will believe I actually did fall out the back door of the cable car?!  

Is this how "true" family lore is born?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...