Monday, November 15, 2010

Off To Dobson

So, off to Dobson we went.......

My maternal grandmother was Cecile Clara White Howard. She grew up in Dobson, Surry County, NC and attended Salem Fork Baptist Church. A short drive from Mount Airy, and I arrived at Salem Fork Baptist Church. I knew at least three generations of my White family ancestors were buried in the church cemetery. I had also been told that there were many Whites buried in this cemetery, but not all "were our Whites". (I expect they may be "ours" along collateral lines.) On that beautiful fall day, I accounted for all my known ancestors in the cemetery and a few more.


Salem Fork Baptist Church was founded on 14 Sep 1907. Among the charter members were "T. J. Whit" [Thomas J White] and "Jona Whit" [Joanna White], my great-great grandparents. Thomas (1851-1922) and Joanna (1852-1910) White are both buried in the church cemetery.


Salem Fork Baptist Church


Salem Fork Baptist Church Cemetery


Grave Marker of Joanna and T J White

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...