Thursday, February 25, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday Winnie's Glasses


These are the glasses of Winnie Haley Carr, my great grandmother. I was rather intrigued by these glasses when I found them among her things. These appear to be reading glasses.

Having worn glasses myself since I was a child, I couldn't help wondering what type of optometry services were around back then (i.e. the late 1800's/early 1900's). Where did one purchase glasses? Did children often receive glasses? What would life have been like if I had grown up in a time when glasses were not so common place?

I think my favorite part of the treasures I have received is the thought processes and questions they trigger for me. When I sit and ponder and blog about my ancestors' possessions, I get to know them better. I think a little deeper about their daily lives. I raise questions that lead to further discoveries in my research.

The best part: I get to tell their stories.

1 comment:

  1. You've hit the nail on the head. I love the learning, questioning and pondering.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...