This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: Treasure Chest Thursday Winnie's Glasses

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday Winnie's Glasses


These are the glasses of Winnie Haley Carr, my great grandmother. I was rather intrigued by these glasses when I found them among her things. These appear to be reading glasses.

Having worn glasses myself since I was a child, I couldn't help wondering what type of optometry services were around back then (i.e. the late 1800's/early 1900's). Where did one purchase glasses? Did children often receive glasses? What would life have been like if I had grown up in a time when glasses were not so common place?

I think my favorite part of the treasures I have received is the thought processes and questions they trigger for me. When I sit and ponder and blog about my ancestors' possessions, I get to know them better. I think a little deeper about their daily lives. I raise questions that lead to further discoveries in my research.

The best part: I get to tell their stories.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Goodrum said...

You've hit the nail on the head. I love the learning, questioning and pondering.

March 4, 2010 at 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home