Saturday, February 20, 2010

Happy Birthday, Grandmom! (Belatedly)

Cecile White Howard
1917-1983
My grandmother was Cecile White Howard born 18 Feb 1917. I'm a little late honoring her on her birthday as intended, but I know she would have forgiven me. She was the wife of James Lester Howard and the daughter of James Abe and Stella (Holyfield) White. Grandmom grew up in Dobson,Surry County, NC.

I am very fortunate to have grown up knowing my grandmother quite well. Visits to my grandparents Howard in the summers was always a highlight. Grandmom and Grandad would often take us on picnics, fishing trips and special day trips.

One favorite activity Grandmom and I would do was candy making. Candy making class was one of the things she did when she retired. I was a very willing taste tester! She taught me how to make chocolate covered cherries and molded mints among other treats. I particularly excelled at the mints and still have and use my grandmother's molds today.


Happy (Belated) Birthday, Grandmom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...