Sunday, December 27, 2009

Advent Calendar My Heritage Tree

*This is another re-posting from last December. Hope you enjoy it! (Okay, I confess. I'm a little behind in my writing. I'll catch up this weekend!)

Since I started genealogy a few years ago, I always thought having having a small Christmas tree decorated with homemade ornaments depicting my ancestors would be a nice touch. After all, I have more than enough ancestors' photos to fill a tree. Somehow in the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season this project never gets done.

Today, I'm taking a last look at this year's Christmas tree (also known as Homer) and realized that I do have my heritage tree. I've had it all along.



I inherited my grandmother's glass ornaments years ago when I had my first Christmas tree. You know the ones, the colored glass balls that are still popular today. These have a wonderful patina. Some even have the original hooks my grandmother used to hang them. In a pinch apparently, she fashioned ornament hooks out of bobby pins.


Also on our tree are ornaments representing events in our lives. We have an ornament with our wedding date engraved on it. There are ornaments given to our children as babies for their first Christmas. There are many paper and popsicle stick ornaments our children have made over the years. There are even styrofoam ornaments I made as a child. (No need to discuss how old those are!)








So yes....it is a heritage tree I've had all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...