Friday, December 18, 2009

Festival of Postcards

It's time for another Festival of Postcards event hosted by A Canadian Family (http://acanadianfamily.com/ ) . This month's theme is "white". Lots of ways to go with that, but as I am writing this, it is snowing outside. Well... snow mixed with sleet. Okay, more sleet than snow, but in the south, we take what we can get.

The above postcard is a Christmas postcard that was among my great-grandfather Boss Henry Talbott's things. There is no writing on the back, so I can only speculate who originally owned it and for whom it was intended. Perhaps it was bought by his wife Esther Lee Richardson (a prolific writer), but never sent. I doubt I'll ever know for sure.

This postcard caught my attention mostly because I did not immediately recognize it for a Christmas card. It does not use the more traditional themes of the season. I do like the colors, especially on the birds. The snow on the ground is likely more than I'll see this winter.



Here is a second "white" postcard I found in my collection. It is of the polar bear at the National Zoo in Washington, DC. The back of this one is also blank, but no mystery here. This is one of several my mother collected on a vacation with her family.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Lisa,
    Thank you very much for this beautiful and very interesting post. You can now view your entry in the Festival of Postcards at -
    http://wp.me/pp92w-77c
    I hope that you will copy this url into your post so that people can pop back and forth between the Festival and your post.
    Thanks,
    Evelyn in Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again Lisa,
    I didn't think of birds as Christmas symbols either but I found out some years ago that when I was visiting the UK (and buying Christmas tree ornaments!) that red-breasted robins are a Christmas motif for the British.
    Evelyn in America

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...