Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Little of This and a Little of That

I've been having trouble deciding what to post about recently. Genealogically speaking it has been an exciting week. Of course, as we all know, one answer leads to three more questions! So, here's what I've been up to lately....

*I placed an interlibrary loan order for birth and marriage microfilm records of my GG-grandfather William Haley of Halifax County, VA.

Then:

*I found pictures of my GGG-grandparents George Thomas Richardson and Sarah Jane Payne online at www.ancestry.com. I used the member connect feature for the first time and was immediately led to another researcher of the Richardson family of Pittsylvania County, VA. It was there I found the photos. I have since made contact with a new cousin.

*I worked on a different sort of puzzle concerning my Maddox family line. I recently was shown the land where my GG-grandparents' (James T Maddox and Martha Jane Lett)homeplace was located. It is private, gated land and I am wanting to find out who currently owns it. My cousins and I would like to see where the homeplace was and if the family cemetery is still marked.

*I made contact with another Talbott "cousin" through ancestry.com's member connect as well. I've actually talked with him a couple of years ago. At that time I was new to genealogy and still learning the process. (I still am!) What I discovered as we compared notes is that we most likely are not cousins, at least not through my great-great grandfather. There were so many Talbotts in the Halifax and Pittsylvania Counties of VA during my GG-grandfather's time, it would not surprise me if we have a common ancestor further back.

Whew! No wonder I've had trouble focusing on one family line. But what fun it has been! I wonder what the next week holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...