This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: Found - The Next Haley (Hailey) Generation

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Found - The Next Haley (Hailey) Generation

I recently began researching my Haley (Hailey) family line of Halifax County, VA. This is one family line that did not come easily at first. Starting out I did know who my great-grandmother (Winnie Haley) and my great-great grandfather (William) were. I had a birthdate, death date and marriage date for William from oral and written family history. Where they came from I had no idea. Were they accurate? Perhaps.

Two essential questions were upper most in my mind:

*Where was William Haley before 1900?

I lost him in the census prior to this time.

*Who were William Haley's parents?

Some researchers online list his parents as Albert and Martha Hailey. They did have a child named William, but he was not my William.

I utilized the interlibrary loan services of my local library to obtain birth and marriage microfilm records for Halifax County. The anticipation I felt when they arrived had me at the library at opening yesterday.

Two hours later, I found them. I found the marriage registration for William H Haley and Clara H Holt of Halifax County, VA married on 12 Dec 1883. William was 21 and Clara was 19. Both were listed as living in Halifax County. William was listed as a farmer. Parents were listed as SC (possibly J C) and Margaret Haley and B W [Branch W] and Caroline Holt.

I think I managed to contain my shriek of joy and triumph. Mostly.

Stay tuned for more of the story of William Haley. I'm still early in the process. I am compiling family stories, editing photos and searching for SC Haley.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home