Wednesday, November 11, 2009

In Honor of Our Veterans

Today is Veteran's Day 2009. It is a day to honor those who fought (and still fight) for our country's freedom. As I reviewed my tree I was struck by how many veterans are tucked into its branches. I've listed some below. I'm sure this is by no means a complete list and I mean no disrespect to any I have not included. (It's merely an indication I need to do more research.) All Civil War veterans in my list fought for the Confederacy. Those in bold type are my direct ancestors.


David Gwin Talbot (1761-1853)
American Revolution

John B Talbott (1836-1924)
Civil War
Received Civil War Pension

Alvin Thornton Talbott (Grandson of John B Talbott, son of John Robert Talbott)
WWII (Navy)
Died 1942

George Thomas Richardson (1824-1894)
Civil War (Confederate)
Received a Civil War Pension.
Injured by mini ball to thigh

James T Maddox (1844-1892)
Civil War
Musician in 50th North Carolina Infantry, Company F
Wife received Civil War pension

James Lamar Sheppard (1833-1913)
Civil War
Hospital Steward in 50th North Carolina Infantry, Companies F and S

James Harward (1760-1840)
American Revolution
Three tours of duty out of Wake County, NC
Wife received Rev. War pension

Allen Mays Harward (Howard) (Son of George Harward, Grandson of James Harward)
Civil War 48th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry out of Chatham County, NC
Died in Dec 1862 in Lynchburg, VA of disease

James Calvin Harward (Brother of Allen Mays Harward above)
Civil War 48th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry out of Chatham County, NC
Died in Jan 1863 in Richmond, VA of disease

Thank you to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...