Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday - The Tuck Brothers

Bryan Tuck and Dewey Tuck
Jan 25, 1899 - Jan 5 1919

This double tombstone sits in the New Hope Methodist Church in Randolph, VA.  This is in the same cemetery where some of my Haley ancestors are buried. To my knowledge, I have no relationship to the Tuck brothers of Halifax County.  I just found their tombstone interesting.

It is a double tombstone and brothers were members of the Woodmen of the World.  Bryan and Dewey were the sons of Joseph A and Victoria Tuck.  At first glance the brothers appear to be twins with the same birth date of 25 Jan 1899.  

But then notice the death dates.  They are both listed as 5 Jan 1919.  Interesting and tragic.....twin brothers who died on the same day. But did they?

I did a quick search online for the Tuck brothers.  Several online Tuck family trees include both Bryan and Dewey Tuck.  These trees also have Dewey Tuck alive and living in Campbell County in 1930.  None of the trees have the brothers listed as twins.

So, Tuck family researchers, I hope the photograph is useful to you.  This stone certainly sparked my curiosity even though the brothers are not part of my ancestry.  I just might have to research their story further one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...