Thursday, July 21, 2011

Another Case of...

....you can't believe everything you read.

Marriage License for Howard/Maddox
This is the marriage license for my great grandparents Connie M Howard and Mattie Maddox dated 8 Mar 1914.  Notice Mattie's listed age: 26.  Mattie was actually 32 (almost 33) when she was married.  For a researcher not as familiar with this family, that mistake could lead to looking for a birth date in wrong time period.

 At least this marriage license had the correct bride and groom listed!  (Unlike here.)


2 comments:

  1. My mother is still living but since she couldn't find her marriage certificate, I sent a request to the county for it. Imagine my surprise when it came back "no record found". I thought my mother would be mortified when she heard but she replied "oh well".

    Fast forward a few months and when I sent a request to the same county for a death certificate, I sent a copy of the "no record found" document and asked for some help. They responded that the marriage license had been applied for in another county (my parents were away at college at the time) so I needed to get a copy of the certificate from them. When I told my mom about it, she had an "a-ha" moment and then remembered every detail about getting the license.

    Glad to know my parents' marriage was legal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned quickly not to rely on the age given on any document, especially on my mom's side of the family. A lot of her line has varying birthdates that range anywhere from 5-15 years depending on what you're looking at.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...