Friday, July 16, 2010

A Howard (Or is it Harward?) Update

I had recently taken a little time off from researching my Howard/Harward line. It was not an intentional break, but rather one born of simply not knowing where to look next. Fortunately the break was not for long. As usual, those Howard/Harward ancestors again are trying to point the way.

Over the 4th of July weekend Footnote.com opened up their Revolutionary War records up for free viewing. Like many I am sure, I took advantage of this opportunity. I already had a copy of the pension application for my ancestor James Harward. However, Footnote seemed to have additional pages from his pension file. I downloaded the pages and begin to read again James' file. That's when a found it. I am sure I have read it before. Others have I know. But this time it stood out. James' stated in his testimony that he was born in 1761 in King and Queen County, VA and moved to NC when he was about 6 or 7 years old. He also stated that he lived in the same neighborhood for about 70 years. [That neighborhood was on Panther Creek near the Wake/Chatham County lines.]

I put this new information together with what I know from the family Bible and a land record of William Howard (father of James) buying land in Orange County, NC (now Wake County) in 1767. I am now a few years further back in time and beginning research in the "burned" King and Queen County, VA. I look forward to the challenges that await.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...