Thursday, October 1, 2009

Festival of Postcards - Esther's Easter Card



Here is another addition to the Festival of Postcards hosted by A Canadian Family . This month's theme is Quadrapeds.

I went through my collection of postcards and was suprised by the number of postcards featuring four legged animals. I must say that my choice was easy. This is an Easter card sent to my great-grandmother Esther Lee Richardson of News Ferry, VA. Who actually sent her the card is not easily discerned. The card is signed "as ever a friend" with no name given. There does appear to be a name at the very top of the card. Possibly "Hallie" or "Hattie" with the t's uncrossed. (Of note, Esther's mother's name was Hattie.) I know of no other women in the family who's name might match.


What do I know about this card?

It is postmarked 19 Mar 1913 in Ringgold, VA. The Richardson family lived in Ringgold earlier and many cousins and relations were still there during this time period. This card is dated before her marriage in 1915. I doubt it is from her future husband Bossy Talbott as he usually signed his cards to her. (I am fortunate to have a number of these.) I also know that Esther and her Richardson cousins were prolific postcard and letter writers. Likely this is a postcard from one of her cousins. There is also a possibility that this was sent from a gentleman admirer. I have found several cards among my collection to Esther from "gentleman callers". Fortunately, as a keeper of family history, Esther saved much of her correspondence.

I hope you enjoy the card as much as I do. It gives a glimpse into the life of a young woman in southern Virginia. Esther died in 1923 leaving a husband and 4 small children. Her postcards and letters are her legacy through which I have get to know her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...