Thursday, October 8, 2009

Three Cemeteries and a Piggly Wiggly


Three cemeteries and a stop at the Piggly Wiggly--my cousins and I know how to live large. I dare say this needs a little explanation.....

I spent the weekend with 5 cousins, 1 great-aunt, 1 aunt and my mom for their annual cousins weekend. Now this is a very exclusive group that gets together once a year and my generation is not on the invitation list. I'm the first cousin once removed. I may be the "removed" cousin, but I am the tallest! (At 5'4" that's not really saying much!) Why did I get the the honor this year? I was there to share our family history and genealogy. What a treat to have such a captive audience. (But don't think I didn't probe their memories for stories of the past.) I think I learned as much as they did.

After church on Sunday, we took off for the country churches where our ancestors are buried. I had been to two of these before, but was happy to return to seek out more ancestors that I had found through my research since my last visit. I found ancestors in unexpected places, took lots of pictures, introduced our ancestors to my cousins, and even got to tour one of our ancestors's churches. Unfortunately, I discovered the church's BMD records did not or no longer exist. Ouch, that hurt.
Oh, and I almost forgot. We drove as close as we could to the land where one family's old homeplace used to be. I very much would like to find it's exact location. I am told by older family members that a small family cemetery is there. The land is now a gated property with No Trespassing signs. To be so close.... I guess this means I have another project.

On the way back the modern day, we made a quick stop at the Piggly Wiggly. For those of you not from the south, that's a grocery store. All in all, I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...