This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: Three Cemeteries and a Piggly Wiggly

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Three Cemeteries and a Piggly Wiggly


Three cemeteries and a stop at the Piggly Wiggly--my cousins and I know how to live large. I dare say this needs a little explanation.....

I spent the weekend with 5 cousins, 1 great-aunt, 1 aunt and my mom for their annual cousins weekend. Now this is a very exclusive group that gets together once a year and my generation is not on the invitation list. I'm the first cousin once removed. I may be the "removed" cousin, but I am the tallest! (At 5'4" that's not really saying much!) Why did I get the the honor this year? I was there to share our family history and genealogy. What a treat to have such a captive audience. (But don't think I didn't probe their memories for stories of the past.) I think I learned as much as they did.

After church on Sunday, we took off for the country churches where our ancestors are buried. I had been to two of these before, but was happy to return to seek out more ancestors that I had found through my research since my last visit. I found ancestors in unexpected places, took lots of pictures, introduced our ancestors to my cousins, and even got to tour one of our ancestors's churches. Unfortunately, I discovered the church's BMD records did not or no longer exist. Ouch, that hurt.
Oh, and I almost forgot. We drove as close as we could to the land where one family's old homeplace used to be. I very much would like to find it's exact location. I am told by older family members that a small family cemetery is there. The land is now a gated property with No Trespassing signs. To be so close.... I guess this means I have another project.

On the way back the modern day, we made a quick stop at the Piggly Wiggly. For those of you not from the south, that's a grocery store. All in all, I can't think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home