Monday, June 29, 2009

Gardening--Welcome to Turtledeck Farms!

My First Tomatoes

This is a fun posting. Anyone who knew my grandfather, James Lester Howard, could attest to the fact that he loved to garden. He didn't just have a little garden for himself and his family. He had a garden for all of Greensboro. Well, at least it seemed like it when I had to shell the butter beans. Personally, I wanted nothing to do with the garden. It had bugs in it and I just did not like most of what was growing out there. My favorite vegetable was the corn from which I collected the corn worms in old jars. I learned early that corn worms do not make good pets. During our trips to Grandmom's and Grandad's, Mom and I had a deal that I would not have to actually eat the butter beans as long as I helped shell them. I shelled a lot of butter beans in my young life.

I do believe that Grandaddy would be proud of me today. I have my first garden (on a much, much smaller scale) where I've grown lettuce, green onions, tomatoes, peppers, squash and okra. Yes, I ate the tomatoes and am eagerly awaiting more. I have 6 plants! You will notice the absence of a certain bean! I doubt this is a genetic inheritance, but family history and tradition apparently run deep.


Turtle Deck Farms

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...