This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: How Much Was Jesse's Property Worth?

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Monday, June 11, 2012

How Much Was Jesse's Property Worth?

Jesse Haley died in the summer of 1869.  His estate included 79 3/4 acres of land in Halifax County, VA  that was sold at auction in 1870 to the highest bidder.  His son Stephen C. "Cas" Haley was the highest bidder paying $3.20 per acre or a total of $255.52.

Dick Eastman recently shared a link to S Morgan Friedman's inflation calculator.  I decided to see just how much Stephen C Haley paid for his father's land at auction in terms of today's money. (Well, at 2010 which is the latest the inflation calculator goes.)

Stephen C Haley would have paid the equivalent of $54.49 per acre and a total of $4345.58 on the land in 2010.  Very interesting!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home