Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Pocket Tree - A Review


The Pocket Tree is a nifty little product I tried out recently. It is a 9 generation family tree chart that I filled out and carry with me in my purse. On the chart are spaces for my ancestors' names, and pertinent dates. Another nice feature of the Pocket Tree are the interview tips and questions to use when interviewing a family member about the family history. All folded up it only measures about 6 3/4" by 4". The perfect size to fit in my purse or research bag. When unfolded it measures approximately 27" x 8". You can learn more about the Pocket Tree here.

When my Pocket Tree arrived in the mail I began to fill it out. One of my first thoughts was how convenient to be able to see my family tree at a glance. When I research at the state archives or local libraries, I do not take my computer. I print the needed parts of my tree or family group sheets and take those with me. Needless to say, I find myself shuffling between too much paper. Yes, the computer would be easier, but I tend to move around when I research. I might be in the original records areas to start and move on to the microfilm room and back again. The Pocket Tree has lets me carry my family tree easily as I move through my research day.

I am very excited to take my Pocket Tree with me next month when I get to meet new cousins on a family line I have been researching. The Pocket Tree will let me show our ancestral line. I am hopeful it will also spark conversations on other less researched family lines. Over the holidays, I plan on keeping my Pocket Tree in my purse as I travel among family gatherings. I anticipate many opportunities to share our heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...