Monday, September 6, 2010

The Labor of My Ancestors

With Labor Day upon us, I began thinking about the type of work my ancestors did. I thought it might be fun to make a list of the occupations they did. So I started with my paternal side of the family:

*Farmer

Okay, this might be a very short list! My grandfather Crafton Talbott was the first of the family to leave the family farm. He was very gifted mechanically and worked in maunfacturing eventually retiring from JP Stevens.

I moved onto my maternal side of the family.

*Farmer (I'm seeing a trend here.)
*Maker of turpentine
*Sawmill owner - I think they made lumber from the pine trees they cut down to make turpentine.
*Shoemaker
*Construction worker
*Minister
*Postmaster

Okay, cousins....let me know what other occupations our ancestors did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...