This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: Marriage Certificate for J A White and Stella Holyfield

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Marriage Certificate for J A White and Stella Holyfield

Bob Carter kindly sent me a copy of my great-grandparents marriage certificate this week. Bob researches Surry County, NC families. His Surry County Cousins website is here. Thanks, Bob!




It states that J A (James Abe) White , age 21, of Surry County, NC and Estella Holyfield, age 18, of Surry County, NC were married 6 Jul 1913 at the home of A D Marion in Eldora Township, Surry County, NC. I discovered that my great-grandmother's name was Estella and not just Stella. (I think that will surprise a few cousins.) Genealogically speaking, I've learned a very good lesson this week. Even when you know the family members and their dates, read the original documents. There just might be one more piece of information to learn.

I was fortunate to know my great-grandmother White when I was young. When we visited my grandparents and she was there also, she and I shared a bedroom. I was always fascinated by her long hair. I used to watch her brush it and braid it. She would then wrap the braid around her head -- all without looking in the mirror. Funny, the things a child will remember.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home