This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: With This Ring ...

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

With This Ring ...




This is the marriage certificate of Cecile Clara White and James Lester Howard. They were married on 10 Jun 1939. I found their certificate in a box of their pictures. Until I read this I did not know why they were married in Danville, VA instead of Greensboro where they lived. If anyone knows the reason, please let me know!


This second picture is actually a page attached to the marriage certificate folder. Interestingly, the advice in 1939 still rings true in 2009. Here are the highlights:

How to Perpetuate the Honeymoon

*Continue your courtship.

*Do not assume a right to neglect your companion.

*Have no secrets that you keep from your companion.

*Make the best of the inevitable.

*Keep a lively interest in the business of the firm.

*Start where your parents started.

*Avoid debt.

*Do not both get angry at the same time.

*Do not allow yourself to ever come to an open rupture.

*Study to understand your companion's disposition, in order to please and avoid friction.

*Gauge your expenses by your revenues.



Posted by Picasa

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Janet Iles said...

That is great advice for not only newly weds but any one in a partnership no matter how long. I especially like "Start where your parents started."

August 22, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home