This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: Deltiology

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Monday, August 17, 2009

Deltiology

Deltiology--The study and collection of postcards.



I learned today that I have a new hobby. ( I hear the groans in the background!) During the last few years as I have studied my family history and genealogy, I have come into the possession of a number of vintage postcards. Some are blank, but many are letters to and from my ancestors to each other as they shared their lives. I have a lot of fun looking through the postcards and thought it would be fun to share them from time to time with my readers. I am also participating in my first blog carnival hosted by A Canadian Family . The theme this month is Water.



Above is a postcard of the Bridal Veil Falls in the Great Smoky Mountains. It is a blank card on the back and one I believe my mother collected on one of her family vacations when growing up. I love the colors on this card. As I sit in the "dog days of summer" in NC, I imagine the coolness and quiet of the Smoky mountains. A mountain vacation sounds good.......



Enjoy!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen Packard Rhodes said...

My husband's grandfather collected postcards, and we have some dating back to the early 20th century. I have decided to add to these, of postcards I have received from pen pals in Italy and Russia and England, as well as picking some up on our own not-so-long-range travels.

Nice blog entry, and that's a lovely postcard.

August 26, 2009 at 10:09 PM  
Blogger Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

Hi!
I would like to invite you to take part in the next Festival of Postcards. You can see the Call for Submissions here:
http://acanadianfamily.com/2009/09/12/a-festival-of-postcards-5th-ed-quadrupeds-call-for-submissions/

September 12, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home