Here are some fun facts I learned about my William (Will) and Clara Haley:
- Clara loved chewing gum. She used to chew it and then give it to the children in the family. (That's a rather scary thought!)
- Clara loved cats. She really had no use for dogs. (So that's where I get it from!)
- Clara was very strict with her children. She was the disciplinarian more often that her husband Will.
- When Will and his son Clyde bought land in Charlotte County, VA, Will was already in his 60's. I never realized the family moved there until their later years. [I plan to research their earlier years in Clarkton, VA more thoroughly.]
- Clara had 12 children. One child is known to have died in infancy. I only have accounted for the 9 children who grew into adulthood. I have a 10th child listed without a sufficient source. Does anyone know about a child named Walter Haley?
- It is likely that Will Haley had a form of dementia. His unfortuante death occured in 1948 when he went looking for a lost cow. He failed to return home and an extensive search was launched. He was found dead in a ditch having died of drowning or exposure. [According to family the incident was written up in the Charlotte Gazette. That's one more avenue of research to explore.]
- Family lore tells that Will Haley was a very religious man. Interestingly, he did not attend church very often once he and Clara moved to Charlotte County.
- Lastly, the Haley family was and still is a very close knit family. I'm proud to be counted among them.
I hope you enjoy reading these little tidbits that I learned about Clara and Will Haley. I am still processing other stories and facts of the Haley family and will share more in the future.
*Note: You may have noticed the lack of names in my post. I do my best not to post names of living relatives for privacy reasons.