This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

Are You My Cousin?: I Am So Honored

Are You My Cousin?

Discovering My Ancestors -- One Cousin at a Time

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina

I tell the stories of my ancestors’ lives. Whether they lived 20 years ago or 200 years ago, they each have a story to tell. Some ancestors tell their stories willingly. Others must have their stories carefully teased from the records. Sometimes the stories are sad. Sometimes the stories are happy. Sometimes the stories are just funny. Regardless, my ancestors’ stories shaped their lives and the lives of those that followed. Come and share in the tales!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

I Am So Honored



I feel so honored to be the recipient of the Ancestor Approved award! Astrid from

Of Trolls and Lemons , Betty from Betty's Boneyard Genealogy Blog and Yvonne at
Sweden Roots nominated me. Thanks so much!

As a recipient of this award I am to list 10 things you have learned about my ancestors that have surprised, humbled or enlightened me, and then pass the award on to 10 other genealogy bloggers who I believe would make their ancestors proud.

So, here goes.......

1. I was very surprised to trace several lines of my ancestors back to the county where I currently live. They didn't stay here, but I must have brought things full circle. Apparently I live in what was a common migration route.

2. I found not one, but two ancestors who fought in the Revolutionary War.


3. I was pleasantly surprised to find the longevity was common in my ancestors. It is not unusual to live into your 90's in this family. (That puts retirement planning in a new perspective!)


4. One of the best things I have gained from the studying the family history, is connecting with older family members. Some of these I've known all my life, and some I met recently.


5. I was surprised to learn that I have a maternal line (Maddox) and paternal line (Richardson) that were both members of St Peter's Parish in Goochland County, VA in the 1700's.


6. My great x 3 grandfather Calvin Maddox's estate papers gave me a lot of insight into a 1848 farming household.


7. I was surprised to learn of an Irish ggg-grandmother in my White family line. Now if I could just find her prior to 1851....


8. I was surprised (well, maybe not really) to determine the "Cherokee medicine doctor" grandmother does not exist in our Howard line. Sorry, Cousins! I think this was a story that took on a life of its own.


9. I've always known my grandfather Lester Howard was a true Southern gentleman and caretaker of his family. I'm humbled by the stories told by his cousins of what a truly great man he was.


10. Finally, I have been enlightened by each of my ancestors. I started genealogy wanting to learn my family line. I was thrilled to add names and dates to my charts. But now I find myself drawn more to the individuals, their lives and the stories they seem to want to tell. I feel privileged to be able to share their stories on my blog.

Now I get to share 10 blogs to pass this award to. Just 10 is hard, there are so many good blogs out there!


Tracy at A Multitude of -sens
Harriet at Genealogy Fun
Tina at Gen Wish List
Kim at My Genealogy Adventure
Jennifer at Jennifer's Genealogy Blog
Diana at Random Relatives
Dionne at Finding Josephine
Alana at A Twig in My Tree
Patty at Bits of Yesterday
Jennifer at Climbing My Family Tree

Enjoy!







Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home